Shell Aviation has introduced the AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4, the second generation of its piston engine oil, specifically designed for light sport and very light/ultralight aircraft 4-stroke engines. Shell Aviation has collaborated with major engine manufacturer, BRP -Rotax, in designing the product, which is the result of three years of development and testing in both companies’ Research and Development facilities.
The AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 offers the following core benefits:
- It is the first aviation oil in the market that is BRP-Rotax tested and is Rotax Norm RON 424 approved.
- Provides enhanced anti-wear protection compared to the previous generation – helping to ensure engines reach time between overhaul (TBO).
- Provides enhanced protection and lubricity for the smooth movement of clutch and gearbox components.
“Throughout the past 100 years, we have made it a priority to understand our customers’ needs so we can provide the best products for their businesses,” said Stéphane Cicolella, Global General Manager Shell Aviation Lubricants. “We are delighted to introduce the AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 and excited about our continued cooperation with BRP-Rotax. Through this collaboration, we are better able to test the product in a number of different conditions and leverage both companies’ expertise for the benefit of our customers.”
Most current 4-stroke engines come with integrated gearbox and overload clutch systems. The same oil is in contact with all the moving parts, so it must be capable of coping with the engine, overload clutch and gearbox simultaneously. The AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 is ideal as it is extremely resistant to the immense shear forces that occur in areas of high-pressure contact such as high-speed gearboxes, valve trains, bearings, pistons and liners. This is where the blend of base oil and additives is most crucial. The AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 incorporates a blend of synthetic technology and high performance additives to help provide long lasting protection.
Thomas Uhr, General Manager BRP-Powertrain said, “The collaboration of BRP-Rotax with Shell goes back to 2004. Our decision to work with the AeroShell team on the development of the formulation for AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 was based on the benefits the formulation would provide to our customers. This joint development is supported by 40 years of Rotax aircraft engines, 25 years and more than 50.000 engines produced within the Rotax 912/914 engines with more than 45 million hours of flight.
We are convinced of the performance of the AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 and that is why we will recommend this product exclusively in our revised Service Information which will be released soon. BRP-Rotax will continue using AeroShell aviation lubricants and is excited about this phase of technical collaboration."
At A Glance
- Multi-grade oil designed to be used in any climate, anywhere in the world.
- Same formulation all over the world, not to be changed without consultation with the main OEMs (including BRP-Rotax).
- Specially selected base oils incorporating synthetic technology to help prevent sludge problems when operating with leaded fuels. This also provides excellent shear stability.
- Can be used with both unleaded aviation and road fuels and Avgas 100LL. Please refer to the Operators Handbook/Manual for the correct oil drain interval when operating on different fuels.
- Additive technology, developed to meet the Rotax Norm RON 424 requirements of integrated gearbox and overload clutches (as used in ROTAX® 912 & 914 Series).
- Anti–corrosion and anti-wear additive package. These additives work as a protective barrier to help prevent critical parts from being slowly degraded by corrosion or wear. This protection is crucial for critical internal parts, reducing the likelihood of premature damage.
- Powerful anti-oxidation action to help protect and clean engine parts.
- Anti-foaming additives designed to help maximize lubrication effectiveness. This is extremely important for those engines which operate with an integrated gearbox.
- Special additives help to neutralize acid build-up.
- The base fluid mixture is a combination of synthetic and high quality mineral oil chosen to give optimum performance when running on any approved fuel (i.e. unleaded mogas/avgas and lead containing aviation fuels). Optimum performance means excellent wear protection and cleanliness of the engine.
Meets or Exceeds Highest International Specifications
- Fully Approved – All ROTAX® 912 &914 Series engines: Rotax Service Instruction SI-912-016/SI-912i-001/SI-914-019 “Selection of suitable operating fluids for ROTAX® engine type 912 & 914 (Series)” will be released soon
- RON 424 OEM specification (new Rotax Norm)
- JASO MA